Sustainable development policy
We will contribute to and support the UK Strategy for Sustainable Development (Agenda 21), and will:
- introduce sustainable development into all policies, plans and decisions;
- identify, monitor and reduce the social, economic and environmental effects of our work while continually trying to improve our services;
- produce an action plan to meet the goals of the UK Strategy, and report on our progress every year;
- buy goods and services which are produced from sustainable sources (those which aim to reduce their harmful effect on the environment);
- make sure our buildings are designed, built, refurbished and run to be environmentally friendly; and
- have an environmental management system in place.
- keep to environmental law;
- reduce waste by reusing and recycling products;
- only use the gas, electricity and water we need;
- only use the paper and stationery we need;
- prevent pollution;
- reduce emissions from our buildings and business-related travel (for example, use public transport where possible);
- make sure our staff know about our sustainable development policy; and
- make sure that this policy is available to the public.